20 artists 20 questions
1. Please tell me about your piece and the inspiration behind it – what has provoked it, what questions are you asking?
Our piece draws its inspiration from the summer riots of 2011, this poses a question about opportunity in society of consumer goods.
2. Please give me three words that sum up your piece
Come and see
3. Who is involved in your piece and what are their roles?
The company consists of 3 artistic directors; Astor Agustson, Dan Ball, Joe Iredale
4. What is the background to your company? How did you all meet? – or - what is your background as a performer?
HalfCut trained together at Rose Bruford College and formed for their self titled debut at Theatre Delicatessen's 'Theatre Souk' in 2010. HalfCut are now associate artists of Theatre Delicatessen
5. What space will you be performing in at the Bush? Do you know what you’re going to do with the space – do you have elaborate set plans?
HalfCut will be transforming the rear fire exit, and turning it into 'The HalfCut Shop' - it will be your basic quirky shop fit.
6. How does your rehearsal/devising process work?
HalfCut have only had one rehearsal in their 8 shows to date. It's all in our heads!
7. Bush Bazaar has its roots in the idea of value and the price we put on things? What do you value most in your life?
8. What theatre companies or performance artists inspire you? What have you seen recently that you have raved about to your friends?
William Forsythe - scattered crowd, yayoi Kusama - infinity room, Anthony Lee - Someone i used to know (Gotye), and 'the mighty' Peader Kirk.
9. There will be an element of bargaining going on between performers and audience members in Bush Bazaar – what is the best bargain you have ever got? Are you a fierce haggler?
Managed to get 3x£15 all you can eat, all you can drink cocktail deal for free. very messy day.
10. What would you pay for your work?
11. What kind of interaction are you expecting to have with your audience?
None, they are completely free to take our belongings...
12. What do you think audience members gain from immersive theatre? Does it matter if an audience member is a bit shy or nervous? Will they still enjoy it?
We believe immersive theatre allows the audience to be the protagonist to a scene, the more they are willing to play and take risks the more reward and gain is available for them.
13. What challenges does Bush Bazaar pose for your company?
Having no clothes left!
14. What are your company’s plans after Bush Bazaar? What are your long term plans?
In October HalfCut will unveil our first feature show, a promenade show called 'Shelf-Life' at Marylebone Gardens (www.halfcutcompany.co.uk)
15. What does theatre mean to you in 2012? How do you see the performance world opening itself up to new ideas and possibilities?
Immersive theatre is becoming more and more popular and the recycling of space is more widely used due to the cut backs.
16. Do you have any tips or tricks up your sleeve for getting the best price from our audience..? What's your selling strategy?
17. Why should I come to see your act? What will I leave your act with? What will i gain?
18. If your piece was a well known person or fictional character, who would it be and why?
19. Who would be your dream audience member and why?
20.What are you most looking forward to with Bush Bazaar?
Meeting other artists and contributing to the project together.