It's Jessica and Priscilla here! We go to Phoenix High School and are just coming up to the end of our Year 10 two-week work experience at the Bush. We have done many exciting things in this A-M-A-Z-I-N-G theatre and want to share the highlights of this experience with you.
Top 10 Most Interesting Things That We Have Done:
1. Meeting David Schwimmer (OMG!) who has directed one of the Encounters shows, Dry Ice by Sabrina Mahfouz (and by meeting, we mean walking past him and sitting near him in a dress rehearsal of the show!)
2. Meeting all the lovely staff who gave us a clear understanding on the different roles that people play to make the theatre work!
3. Watching Chalet Lines and Encounters: Dry Ice and ...Chrissy, two shows at the Bush right now; BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW!
4. Meeting and working with Che Walker, an incredible director and writer, when he was in the Bush working on a project.
5. Experiencing the work environment including getting on at a fixed time, sitting in on meetings and getting along with people you work with.
6. Sitting in on the development of a musical :D
7. Speaking to actors and getting their advice. Some of the advice we were given for acting: Do not do it for the money, enjoy it, grab EVERY opportunity (such as this work experience), and get feedback and criticism from people you know so you can grow in your creativity and know what works!
8. Understanding the role of a producer, which takes a lot of hard work!
9. Looking at a budget for a show and learning how to use one. There are lots of things you have to consider about making a budget, including health and safety and travel costs for a cast; it involves A LOT of money!
10. Being in an atmosphere that we've always dreamed of. :)
For me (Priscilla), I had always wanted to write, but I've never been bothered to carry on something that I've started. But when I met Che Walker and looked at some of his work, and when I saw Encounters, where both women wrote and performed their own work, I became really inspired and I am now going to concentrate on writing! This has been the BEST!
For me (Jessica), what has really interested me is that I do not just have to do acting, I can do the other roles in the theatre such as being a director, writer or producer and it can still be fulfilling and I can still be an important part of theatre as a whole!
We would like to take this opportunity to thank ALL the staff at the Bush and we would like to thank you all for making this an astonishing and electrifying experience!
-From Priscilla and Jessica :)