or call the box office
The Bush Theatre is proud to present the European premiere of Jackie Sibblies Drury’s hit play We Are Proud to Present a Presentation About the Herero of Namibia, Formerly Known as Southwest Africa, From the German Sudwestafrika, Between the Years 1884 - 1915 in a new ★★★★★ (Metro) production directed by Gbolahan Obisesan.
"I'm not doing a German accent
You aren't doing an African accent
We aren't doing accents"
A group of actors gather to tell the little-known story of the first genocide of the 20th Century. As the full force of a horrific past crashes into the good intentions of the present, what seemed a far away place and time is suddenly all too close to home.
Just whose story are they telling?
Award-winning playwright Jackie Sibblies Drury collides the political with the personal in a 'witty and ingenious' (The Guardian) play that 'takes your breath away (Metro).
CRITICAL ACCLAIM FOR WE ARE PROUD TO PRESENT...
'Excoriating drama from US playwright Jackie Sibblies Drury, who furiously slices to the heart of the gulf in understanding between black and white in this funny, shocking work.'
'A Pirandellian take on a little-known genocide... witty and ingenious'
'A bold and distinguished work'
'Ambitious, admirable, intelligent'
'Entertaining and emotionally affecting'
We Are Proud to Present… was in New York Magazine’s ‘Top 10 Theater Picks of 2012’ and won great acclaim in productions across America. This critically acclaimed European premiere production marks Gbolahan Obisesan’s return to the Bush Theatre where his Fringe First award-winning play Mad About the Boy sold out in 2011.
Watch interview with playwright Jackie Sibblies Drury and director Gbolahan Obisesan:
Our BLOG is packed full of glimpses behind the scenes of We Are Proud to Present...
Take a peek at our rehearsal room wall on Pinterest:
What the papers say
Playwright - Jackie Sibblies Drury
Director - Gbolahan Obisesan
Designer - Lisa Marie Hall
Lighting Designer - Azusa Ono
Sound Designer - Donato Wharton
Video Designer - Benjamin Walden
Casting by - Lotte Hines
Movement Director - Diane Alison-Mitchell
Percussionist - Sola Akingbola
Assistant Director - Roy Alexander Weise
Associate Designer - Florence de Maré
Dates - 28 Feb – 12 April 2014
Mon - Sat - 7.30pm (£19.50)
Previews - 28 Feb, 1, 3 & 4 Mar, 7.30pm (£15)
Saturday Matinees - 8, 15, 22 & 29 Mar, 5 & 12 Apr, 2.30pm (£15)
Wednesday Matinees - 12, 19 & 26 Mar, 2 & 9 Apr, 2.30pm (£15)
Captioned Performance - 7 April, 7.30pm
Audio Described Performance - 22 Mar, 7.30pm
Recommended age suitability - 14+
Please note - that there will be smoking onstage during the performance
Running time - Approx. 90 mins (no interval)
offers and concessions
- Season 3 for 2 - Book online and the discount will be automatically applied. Offer applies to all main house shows. Valid for top price tickets only, shows must be purchased at the same time. Not valid for previews, matinees, or RADAR.
- Bush Connect Members (Student / Under 26) - Previews and matinees £10, evening performances £12
- Bush Local Members - Previews £12, 10% off all other performances
- Senior Citizens Concession - We offer a limited number of Senior Citizen Concessions: previews £12, matinees £10, evening performances £15
- Concessions (available for registered unemployed and disabled patrons) - Previews and matinees £10, evening performances £12
- All offers are subject to availability - Terms and conditions apply