Impact

Inspired by our production of F*ck the Polar Bears we worked with 42 people in a range of workshops, projects and groups, to explore both the themes around the play, and the practicalities of the production itself.

We held six workshops in sound and lighting design with various secondary schools and sixth forms, exploring the techniques and practices behind these two fields. The young people worked with lighting designer, Nic Farman, and sound designer, Neil Hobbs, exploring and developing their knowledge of what goes into creating the behind the scenes magic in a theatrical production.

Concurrently, we commissioned two, four week creative projects with local groups of young people, led separately by the poets Inua Ellams and Yusra Warsama. The poets led their respective groups in creating their own pieces of spoken word, which were then made into short films and presented at screenings at the Bush (links to which can be found below).

Finally, we set up a six week-long reading group, for members of the local community, run by our Community Producer, Amanda Castro, in partnership with the Reader Organisation. Members of this reading group stayed connected to the Bush Theatre, and many took part in our Neighbourhood Project.

“I never knew there was so much behind the art of lighting and sound and I was able to take plenty of notes which will be very useful when writing about the devising myself and my peers are currently doing in our drama studies at school.” – Student, Burlington Danes

“I just wanted to reiterate how fantastic the workshops were. Additionally, you have been incredibly supportive through the project and since. It has been lovely to work with you and I hope to continue to do so.” – Teacher, Sacred Heart High School