Local Hero

Alongside the run of The Royale we worked with over 70 young people across the borough to ask the question: Who are our cultural icons and where do we find them?

We ran one –off creative workshops with various schools and young people’s groups based on this question and ran a four week project with members from Only Connect, a local organisation working with young people at risk and ex-offenders. The members worked with artist Yemisi Blake to create and curate a beautiful photography exhibition exploring this question and their personal responses to it. This exhibition ran at the Bush Theatre throughout the run of The Royale.

You can see some more of the images created, and hear audio clips from the members discussing their work here.

The Local Hero project was funded by Hammersmith United Charities.

“I do believe the workshop was excellent the group seemed to thoroughly enjoyed it, I myself as a member of staff found it so enjoyable, and if was still a member myself would have loved to be a part of it”, Only Connect staff member

“I think the workshop provided a lens in which to watch the play and the students really enjoyed the show.” – Teacher, Phoenix High School