SUBMISSIONS WINDOW IS NOW OPEN UNTIL 10 JANUARY
The Bush Theatre is committed to championing exciting new voices in theatre. If you’re a playwright who is not currently represented by an agent, and you have a play to share with us, we would love to receive it during our submissions window!
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We’re looking for playwrights that tell contemporary stories with wit, style and passion. We’re interested in voices and stories that reflect the diversity of contemporary society and plays that are provocative and entertaining.
We encourage you to familiarise yourself with our work by visiting us in Shepherd’s Bush and seeing a play or reading those plays we have produced recently – we have thousands of playtexts in our library to get you thinking.
If you can’t make it to the building, the BushGreen page of our website is your first port of call to read articles around our work. You can also listen to the Making It With Temi Wilkey podcast to get to know some of the writers from our latest season.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU SUBMIT?
All scripts that are received are considered by Bush Theatre readers, which is a team made up of professional playwrights, directors and other artists. The senior creative team, including the Literary Manager and Associate Director, oversee the submissions process.
Two of our Emerging Writers’ Group writers will be selected from this year’s unsolicited submissions, and for many more writers, submitting your script is the beginning of a relationship with the Bush. We have committed to meeting with at least 25 writers through meetings or phone calls, and 100 more will receive feedback via email.
We will always inform you of the final outcome. The large volume of submissions we receive means this process can take up to 8 months and we are unable to enter into conversation about plays that we do not wish to take further.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION
The script submissions window is open from 27th November until 23:59 on 10th January.
- Full length plays (running at 60 minutes or more) from writers based in the UK or Ireland.
We do not accept
- Redrafts of plays previously read by the Bush
- Plays which have received a production
- Adaptations or works in translation
- Multiple submissions – we would advise you to look at our programming and send the play you feel would be best suited to the Bush.
- For environmental reasons, we are unable to accept script submissions delivered by post or in person. Please submit your play as a PDF or Microsoft Word document, using the title of your play as the name of the document, followed by your full name.