The Bush Theatre is producing work in one of the most culturally diverse areas in London, and we’re incredibly proud of that. We want to create work that reflects the unique environment and culture around us.
We aim to get closer to our local community by discovering, engaging and collaborating with the different voices, experiences and histories present in our neighbourhood through artistically led, high quality projects. These projects allow us to be inspired and influenced by the communities surrounding us. In turn we hope to offer every person in our locality the opportunity to inform and access the artistic culture of our theatre, as well as explore their own creativity.
We engage with talented and experienced artists from a variety of backgrounds who are as inspired as we are by our communities and who help us create this work.
Our strategy looks a little like this:
- Long term artistic projects within the community and in partnership with inspiring local organisations;
- Partnerships with local organisations, who help us all to look at the world from a different vantage point;
- Breaking down barriers by creating opportunities to access our work through subsidised tickets, special events, education packs and talks;
- Work experience placements offered throughout the year to students;
- Creative workshops in theatre, creative writing and career paths in the arts.
In our current building we’re welcoming more first-time visitors than ever before. One third of our visitors come from our local community and over 10% are under 26. There’s more to do, but we feel like we are headed in the right direction. We work hard to ensure our work and our space remains accessible; this is made possible by generous support from many organisations and individuals who think in similar ways to us.
Whether you’re curious about the building or want to delve deeper into the work on stage, there are lots of ways you can get involved.